Courtesy of Library of Nineteenth Century Photography
Henry Johnson (1840-1901), Archdeacon of the Upper Niger, was the son of Yoruba parents who had both been rescued from slave raiders by British warships and resettled in Sierra Leone, where they had converted to Christianity. In 1865 he travelled to England to train for the ministry at the Church Missionary College in Islington. While studying in London he became a deacon on 3 December 1866; the following year he was ordained a priest by the Bishop of London. He remained in England for two more years before returning to Sierra Leone to work on a translation of the New Testament into the Mende language. In 1885 he was awarded an honorary MA by the University of Cambridge, in recognition of his work as a translator. He died in Sierra Leone in 1901. Photographed by William Menzies of 213 Upper Street, Islington. An inked inscription in the lower margin gives the date, 19 June 1866.